Succeeding with Difficult Students
Conscious Teaching’s Rick Smith and Grace Dearborn -in partnership with PD360- have developed this classroom management e-learning course for K-12 teachers based on their best selling book Conscious Classroom Management.
The purpose of the course is to help both new and veteran teachers become familiar with the invisible concepts and strategies that effective classroom managers use. These strategies will help teachers and their students achieve more in an environment consciously constructed to feel safe and foster learning.
The course is self-paced, thus fitting all participant’s time schedules and lifestyles. The lessons are quick-paced, engaging and relevant for all teachers regardless of grade level, experience, or student population.
There are two ways to use the course materials:
1. Facilitated. Individuals can purchase a seat in a course session, or schools can purchase seats for individual teachers. There are 3 course sessions per year, in the spring, summer and fall. These courses are facilitated by a Conscious Teaching facilitator. Work is assessed and feedback is given. Work includes a midterm and a final. A certificate of completion documenting 36 PD hours is given at the end. And for an additional fee, 3 CEUs can be purchased from St Mary’s College. $199 per seat. Order now.
2. Un-Facilitated. Schools and programs can purchase access to a condensed version of the 10 learning modules that make up the course and use them to facilitate their own internal PD experience with their teachers. The school can appoint a “moderator” who will have admin privileges and be able to track each participant’s progress. This version of the course does not include a midterm or final and is not assessed by a Conscious Teaching facilitator. This version cannot be taken for CEU credits. $100 per teacher. $50 per mentor, limit 1 mentor per 10 teachers. Please contact us to order.
- The course consists of 10 lessons in three parts: Part 1: Foundation, Part 2: Prevention and Part 3:Intervention.
- View course outline
- Print informational flier
- It will take approximately 36 hours to complete the course.
- The course can be taken for 3 CEUs for a separate, additional fee.
- The course is facilitated by national classroom management trainer, Grace Dearborn.
Click on FAQs above to learn more about earning credits and other frequently asked questions.
Hundreds of research studies in education have concluded that the best way to improve student achievement is with a knowledgeable and skillful teacher (What Matters Most, 1996). In other words, the difference in teacher effectiveness is the single largest factor affecting academic growth of populations of students (Sanders, 2000). And the #1 teacher-controlled area influencing student achievement is classroom management (Wang, Haertl, & Walberg, 1994).